School has officially set off at East Antioch as the Kindergartners started today! We had a wonderful turnout of parents dropping off their little ones & grabbing more donuts then tissues at the Kinders with Kleenex this morning.
East Antioch PTA sent home a packet full of information with details of all the events that will happen during the school year that is sponsored by East Antioch PTA.
Some of you have signed up as a member, turned in spirit wear order forms or filled out the volunteer sign-up sheet and we greatly appreciate this! We hope you all can take a few minutes in your day to review the packets as this is a great opportunity to sign up & volunteer for PTA events that you want to be involved in!
Our Family Game Night is Friday, September 7th from 6:30-8PM. Not only are we looking forward to students, staff members, family, friends & the East Antioch community to join us but we are also looking for some volunteers to help our chairs Lorri Westerdahl & Amanda Wetterer for the Game Night!
Under the About Us tab you can find their information.
By filling out the volunteer forms & returning to school or sending that information over to our PTA President Amber Pittman via email, she will be able to pass along your information to the chairs running EA PTA events throughout the school year!
Thanks for all your support & if you need anything please let us know!
We had some orders submitted tonight for the ice cream social but we hope to have many more.
Please take a moment to print the link above for a spirit wear form if you need one.
There was a copy sent home in the packets but we wanted to attach one here just in case. Please turn these in by Friday, September 21st.
This is the DEADLINE
If you have any questions feel free to contact our EA PTA President at 913-522-8436 or [email protected]
What a great turnout we had at East Antioch Ice Cream Social!
Kendra came up with the great idea for The Welcome Back Panthers sign which was a definite bonus for a photo op!
Thanks for all your support tonight! Please sign up with the PTA and ask us how you can get involved!
If you are wanting to sign up with girl scouts, please contact Kristin Watson Wear.
Big thank you to the following ladies for setting everything up tonight!
Alice Maupin Wright
East Antioch Elementary is looking for some extra school supplies for our students.
They are on the hunt for 5 sets of the following:
*Pen style expo marEast Antioch Elementary is looking for some extra school supplies for our students.
They are on the hunt for 5 sets of the following:
*Pen style expo markers (fine tip versus large/broad)
* 8 tab notebook dividers
* Adult Scissors
* Pencil pouches for inside a binder
If anyone can help, please hand over to Tracie Chauvin. She is the East Antioch Social Worker.
Thanks so much!
What better way to start off the school year then having a buffet breakfast with fresh coffee and waffles for our staff at East Antioch!
We as the PTA definitely want to take care of our staff members as they make a huge impact on our children!
Without the help of our PTA Members we wouldn’t have been able to provide such a wonderful breakfast for the staff members.
East Antioch PTA wants to give recognition to all these wonderful women for their time & support!
Amber Pittman, Alice Wright, Cheryl Lawson, Jaime Orlich, Gretchen Shanahan, Lesa Childers, Tara Ortega, Sherri Lynn, Erin O’Neil Pye, Mindy Cox, Amanda Wetterer, Lorri Westerdahl & Alli Jackson
Thanks for following us & please let us know if you would ever like to contribute your time as well!
MESSAGE FROM OUR PRINCIPAL MRS. NETOLICKY.
Parent Volunteer information (MVP)
As you have probably heard, there is a change in the structure in regard to who should be MVP trained. MVP (My Volunteer Pal) training is required anytime a student is handed off to another adult before or after school if that adult is not the parent, guardian, parent approved adult, or school employee. This means anyone attending field trips must be trained! Other examples include: Running Club and Mad Science. Fingerprinting and background check procedures need to be repeated every 3 years. MVP training and fingerprinting should be completed at least 6 weeks prior to the MVP’s anticipated field trip or start date.
We are proud to announce that we will be offering multiple training opportunities within the next month, and two of them are here at East Antioch!
Friday, August 10 at 10:00amFriday, September 7 at 5:30-6:30pm (just before the PTA family game night)
If you are interested in being trained, please RSVP in this google document. https://goo.gl/forms/E009a02iTkGREGf52Click Here
We appreciate your help and willingness to do this.
East Antioch Elementary PTA wants to continue to be a thriving school community so sign up now & become a PTA Member!
Were offering 2 different packages when you sign up to become a member!
Single or Bundle
Single Package will get you:
- Membership for 1 Person is $10
- Membership for 2 People is $16
- Paper Directory which includes
- Other PTA Members information
- Executive Board Members Information
- Chair & Co-Chair Information
- About Me Information for the East Antioch Staff members
- Teachers with the students in their class
Bundle Package will get you:
- Membership for 1 Person is $25
- Membership for 2 People is $30
- Paper Directory included in the single package
- 1 Yearbook
You can also add on extra yearbooks for $14 each. The yearbooks will be an option later but they will go from $14 to $15. Our Yearbook Chair will contact you if you accidentally double order.
For those who choose to opt out on the fundraiser packet & would prefer to buy a Panther Pledge that is included on the PTA Membership Form as well. You can choose for 1 child $50 & 2 or more children is $75.
Go to our Fundraisers tab on the website & click on the link at the top of the page to print off the Membership & Directory Form.
We will gladly pick these up from you if you decide to sign up before school starts. If you do sign-up by the ice cream social you will be put into a raffle for a nice prize & you will get the opportunity to review our budget sheet for the school year to approve or disapprove.
Click Above for the FORM!
- Budgets at every school are tight. Money raised in school fundraisers is often used to pay for those little extras that can make a school a bit special, be it an interactive whiteboard or a school trip.
- The PTA fundraises to provide more educational services for children. Fundraisers remain important to improving the quality of the school overall.
- Helping at PTA fundraising events helps you get to know your kid’s teachers better and understand the way our school works!
- Being part of the PTA helps you get to know other parents and their children. This is important for school matters but also great for a more active social life!
- By joining the PTA you have the chance to promote and enhance your school’s standing within your local community.
- Although occasionally embarrassed, most children do actually like to know that you are there for them, taking an interest and sharing their experience.
- Talking to other parents helps you, everyone and them. Sharing experiences and parenting tips helps us all!
- The commitment is not too much: the occasional evening meeting and other PTA events.
- Everyone has different talents and skills they can bring to the school and parents are a great interface between the school and the ‘outside world.’ Very handy for raffle prizes, sponsorship or professional help.
- It is actually quite fun to run the Carnival or watch the kids enjoy themselves at the school family nights. Isn’t this what it’s all about???
To find out more contact chair Gretchen Shanahan
Please find a document that portrays the modified MVP process for summer 2018 and beyond. It is my recommendation to go ahead and complete the MVP Tier 1 process. Please note the highlighted adjustments. This is district-wide, so please do not wait until August to make an appointment.
My Volunteer Pal (MVP)
The volunteers in the Shawnee Mission School District’s (MVP) My Volunteer Pal program are making a difference daily in the lives of students in our schools. Educating today’s students is a collaborative partnership, and volunteers play a valuable role.
In as little as thirty minutes per week, you can make a difference in the life of a student. The Shawnee Mission School District MVP Program connects adult volunteers with youth ages four to 18. Volunteer pals choose from a range of school activities, including mentoring, serving as a lunch buddy, classroom volunteer, sharing special talents or career interests, tutoring in math or reading, or simply being a friend who listens. No special skills are required, only the ability to develop a good relationship and be a good listener. Volunteers enjoy flexible schedules, and most activities take place on school grounds during school hours.
There are two types of volunteer groups as distinguished by the areas in which they may be working or the tasks with which they are assisting. MVP’s identified as Tier I volunteer in a capacity in which they have direct contact with students, either individually or in groups. Examples may include tutor, mentor, classroom volunteer, chaperone, etc. This includes if you plan to assist with field trips to the zoo or other locations you could be with a small group.
Examples of Tier I volunteers who need to be MVP trained include but are not limited to the following:
- Chaperones for USD Approved Field Trips. Examples: band, orchestra, camps (cheerleading, dance team, etc.), DECA, journalism, thespians, sports, etc.
- Chat ‘n Chew
- Chess Club*
- Field trips
- Lunch buddies
- Mad Science*
- Master Gardeners*
- School volunteers. Examples: art room, classroom, library, office, workroom, etc.
- Watch Dogs
- and more.
MVP training and fingerprinting should be completed at least 6 weeks prior to the MVP’s anticipated start date.
*MVP training is required anytime a student is handed off to another adult before or after school who is not the parent, guardian, parent approved adult, or school employee. Examples include: Chess Club, Mad Science and Master Gardeners. Refer to BOE Policy IFCB for a definition of USD Approved Field Trips and Non-Sanctioned Field Trips. Volunteers under 18 years of age are trained, but not fingerprinted. A FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) document must also be signed. Fingerprinting/background check procedures need to be repeated every 3 years.
The other volunteer group, identified as Tier II, volunteer essentially in a one-time, group supervised setting, or non-student contact capacity. Examples may include: classroom party volunteer, committee volunteer, etc.
Steps to Become an MVP Volunteer (please do these steps in order):
2. Attend a MVP training session. (Training dates and times are posted on the “Volunteering” page on the district’s website. These sessions can fill up quickly and are limited to 12 attendees.) Combined training and fingerprint screening dates are offered at the Center for Academic Achievement, 8200 West 71st, and require a reservation. Please call 913-993-6447 or email [email protected] for a reservation.
3. Drop in fingerprint screening is available at the Center for Academic Achievement, 8200 W. 71st St., on Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.and from 12:45 p.m. to 4 p.m. Fingerprint screenings can only be done AFTER attending a training session.
Visit www.smsd.org for more information about the MVP program.
E-mail [email protected] or call (913) 993-6447 for more information.
Welcome to our PTA Website!
We would like to say thank you for visiting our new PTA Website & hope that you will follow this as it will ultimately be the place to go when you need to find any information!
We sure hope you have signed up as a PTA Member already but if you have not, please do! There are so many benefits for signing up! Not only will you be an advocate for 1 more child but you will also get a paper directory with your information included should you choose, you will be involved in our school community as much as you want and you will get to have an opinion on what we do as the PTA to help our school, students & staff!
On the first day of school each student will bring home a welcome packet for parents
Now with this welcome packet you will have all the information we can possibly give you to get started! You will have a welcome letter, volunteer sign-up sheet for all the events were hosting throughout the year which includes the dates & times of these events, Membership/Directory Form, a Box Tops Letter with a zip lock bag to collect those through the year and a spirit wear order form!
Should you not be a person who wants to deal with papers and would rather have a conversation or send things electronically then feel free to contact our PTA President Amber Pittman with any questions & she will answer any of them or point you in the right direction.
We will offer many different events throughout this school year that you will definitely want to check out & hopefully get involved with such as our Family Game Board Night, Chili Cook-Off, Donuts with Dads, Muffins with Moms, Book Fairs, Family Dance Night, School Spirit Nights, Carnival and Silent Auction.
We also host many things for our East Antioch Elementary which is why it’s so important for you join the PTA & get involved! We sponsor field trips, staff appreciation, grants for the staff, kindness week, cultural arts program, bike rodeo for 3rd graders & this is the 1st year we will be using funds from our Box Tops to add on something special for our kids at school! If you come to our first PTA Meeting on Thursday, September 13th at 6:00 P.M. you will get to vocalize your opinion on this matter & you will get put into a raffle for a prize!
Make sure to explore our PTA website & let us know shall you have any questions!